Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Capitalist

I want to open my own business. Be my own boss. Work my own hours. When I read about the CEO of Starbucks who went to Italy in the mid-eighties and was impressed by the Italian coffee shops that fostered a spirit of community and conversation, I get misty eyed. (Not that Starbucks exemplifies those things in my mind today, but rather the spirit, determination, and vision it takes to leap into the unknown and start something you can call your own.) Then I ask, what could I do? I have no money. No start up cash. No brilliant ideas. What's driving this is the boredom I face sitting behind a desk day after day. I have a good job. It's interesting, worthwhile, inspiring even at times. But always in the back of my mind is this idea that I want to run off this beaten path that I'm on. I'm headed towards more kids, a mortgage, vacations twice a year, the works. And those are my goals, except that I also want something fabulously different. Give me ideas my friends!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home