Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Fleet Feet

Running outside in spring always brings me back to track practice in highschool. Sweat dripping down the small of my back, mixed with sunshine, cut grass, dirt, pounding heels, and the sound of my beating heart. I felt much lighter and fleeter then, but the euphoria is still the same. I think I'm really going to try to get back into a running regimine. I never felt as healthy and strong as I did when I could run a mile under 6 minutes. Now I'd be lucky to do it in 10....Track practice--what a fun time I had. A long run up through the hills behind Scio on dirt roads was an adventure--sometimes we'd stop and swim in someone's pool, or take a dip in a creek, or hide from our track coaches watchful eyes. But mostly I remember feeling such joy in bodily motion, and bonding with my friends. I'm going to keep at it and try to capture that feeling again

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this one. I've never gotten why people love running. We used to have gym classes in Central Park when I was in elementary school and we would have to run around the Great Lawn--I think it's a half-mile all the way around. I was always the slowest because I just didn't care. On the other hand, I really like to swim. I guess some people might think it's boring because you're only going back and forth in a little pool, but I love it. It's an easy way to empty your mind and just... float.

Your friend,

Patience

6:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home